THEDRUM Archives

January 2006

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:57:27 -0500
IMPERIALISM AND RACE: IRAQ (2006) and THE PHILIPPINES (1906)
                                  By William Loren Katz

      Critics of the U.S. occupation of Iraq usually trace its
origins to Viet Nam and the baleful efforts of Presidents Lyndon
Johnson and Richard Nixon to sustain support for a war that killed
hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in Asia, took 60,000
American lives and deeply divided the country.

To cloud its massive bombings and blunders, the Viet Nam era White
House talked of fighting communist tyranny and advancing freedom in
Southeast Asia. U.S. weaponry and tactics -- napalm, carpet-bombing,
and Agent Orange - drove a country back to the Stone Age and
prevented its ability to challenge U.S. hegemony in Asia. But it
ended ignominiously as people on the U.S. embassy roof in Saigon
scrambled onto helicopters.

      Viet Nam resonates ominously in 2006, surely its "gooks" have
become today's "rag heads." But the trajectory that brought U.S.
forces to Iraq began much earlier. A century ago the United States
launched its first overseas occupation when it sent troops to the
Philippines as liberators - and instead planted the seeds of Iraq,
Viet Nam and much more.
      The 7,100 islands of the Philippine archipelago were rich in
natural resources and strategically located only 600 miles from the
markets of Asia. Businessmen still climbing out of the deep
depression of 1893 feared war would sharply increase economic
instability. But leading bankers, industrialists, and their
politicians, warned that unless the United States seized Asia's
markets it faced stagnation, unemployment and a possible revolution.
In 1893 U.S. businessmen overthrew the government of Hawaii and
brought it into the U.S. trade orbit. In 1898 imperialism's leading
spokesmen, Senator Albert Beveridge, asked "God's chosen people" to
face a desperate plight and to adopt his simple solution:

      American factories are making more than the American people can
use; American soil is producing more than they can consume. Fate has
written our policy for us . . . . The Philippines give us a base at
the door of all the East . . . . The power that rules the
Pacific . . . is the power that rules the world.

Beveridge insisted that "the mission of our race" was to control "the
trade of the world," and in his grand plan the Philippines "logically
are our first target."

      America's pioneer overseas adventure only needed a spark, an
incident, a "weapon of mass destruction." As armed liberation forces
challenged Spanish rule in Cuba and the Philippines, newspaper moguls
Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst boosted their
circulations by featuring lurid tales of Spain's cruelty toward Cuban
men and women. Then in January 1898, the U.S. battleship Maine sailed
into Havana Harbor on a good will visit, and on February 15th, the
Maine exploded and sank with 258 officers and men. Hearst and
Pulitzer charged that Spain had used a "diabolical weapon," a
torpedo, to sink the Maine, and loudly beat the drums of war. "Blood
on the roadsides, blood in the fields, blood on the doorsteps, blood,
blood, blood," wrote Pulitzer's New York World. "The whole country
thrills with war fever," said Hearst's New York Journal.

           Spain denied any hostile role, but accepted President
McKinley's chief demands regarding the Maine. But before U.S.
investigators could discover that it was not a missile but an
internal boiler explosion that sank the Maine, war hysteria gripped
the country. On April 19th President William McKinley urged and
Congress declared war on Spain, and added a promise to liberate Cuba.
Privately, President McKinley admitted to broader goals: "We must
keep all we get; when the war is over we must keep all we want."

      Leading the administration hawks was young, dynamic Teddy
Roosevelt, assistant secretary of the Navy, a man who believed that
war stimulated "spiritual renewal" and the "clear instinct for racial
selfishness." "I should welcome almost any war, for I think this
country needs one," TR wrote to a friend, and carried his own list of
targets -- Mexico, Chile, Spain, Germany, England and Canada. Not a
man to hide in the National Guard once war was declared, TR rushed to
Cuba and led his Rough Riders in a famous charge at San Juan Hill. He
returned with a reputation for fearless belligerence, and one regret,
"there was not enough war to go around."

    Like "9/11" in 1898 the slogans "Cuba Libra!" and "Remember the
Maine!" mobilized citizens against a distant tyranny. Victory over
Spain came in ten weeks with only 379 US combat deaths, and in what
Secretary of State John Hay called a "splendid little war." The fate
of 13 million colonial people and 165,000 square miles of Puerto
Rico, Cuba, Guam, Samoa and the Philippines fell to the United States.

   U.S. leaders of the 1890s were guided by an intense, bellicose
patriotism under girded by a blatant racism. Independence and voting
rights were only appropriate for fellow whites. In 1896 in the Plessy
case an eight to one Supreme Court decision sanctioned segregation
nationwide. Urged on by Governors, Senators, and local sheriffs,
southern lynch mobs took the lives of three or four Black men, women
and children a week. TR called people of African descent "a perfectly
stupid race" and warned Black audiences that the rapists among them
did their people more harm than any lynch mob. And he was among the
least bigoted leaders of the time. The day Congress declared war on
Spain Missouri Congressman David A. De Armond called African
Americans "almost too ignorant to eat, scarcely wise enough to
breath, mere existing human machines."

          Racial rhetoric and violence at home set the stage for war
and colonialism. "Self-government," Senator Beveridge said, "applies
only to those who are capable of self-government. We govern the
Indians without their consent, we govern our territories without
their consent, we govern our children without their consent."
Beveridge called colonial people "children . . . not capable of self-
government." Beveridge and McKinley would offer them "Christianity"
and "civilization" much as slaveholders did for enslaved Africans.
"The conflicts of the future are to be conflicts of trade --
struggles for markets -- commercial wars for existence," Beveridge
admitted. But victory would lead to riches and bring the American
flag and white supremacy to new lands.

      Though white superiority was the hot core of imperialism,
initially some African Americans were swept along by war fever. To
escape poverty or gain recognition and opportunities through
patriotic sacrifice, they volunteered to serve their country. But as
links between injustice and oppression at home and imperialism abroad
became sharper, more African Americans began to view imperialism
through their own experience. In Tampa, Florida when sheriffs
attacked Black soldiers waiting to leave for Cuba, the Black Richmond
Planet wrote, "If colored men cannot live for their country, let
white men die for it." George W. Prioleau, a Black Chaplain of the
9th Cavalry regiment, angrily wrote from Tampa: "Talk about fighting
and freeing poor Cuba, and Spain's brutality . . .  Is America Any
Better Than Spain?"

    African Methodist Episcopal Bishop Henry M. Turner scoffed "too
ridiculous" at U.S. claims its overseas ventures were motivated by
humanitarianism, and predicted, "all the deviltry of this country
would be carried into Cuba the moment the United States got there."
U.S. troops arrived in Cuba, Puerto Rico and other Spanish colonies
with orders to break strikes, suppress unions and undermine national
liberation movements.

   The most painful and longest part of the Spanish American war
unfolded in the Philippines. Before he left for Cuba, TR ordered
Commodore George Dewey and his fleet to Manila Bay in the Philippines
and on May first they defeated Spain's fleet. General Emilio
Aguinaldo's guerrilla army of 40,000 that spent two years battling
Spain and expected to rule the islands welcomed Dewey. U.S. Secretary
of State William R. Day said the "ultimate object of our action
is . . . independence for the Philippines." Dewey told Aguinaldo that
the U.S. "had come to . . . free the Filipinos from the yoke of
Spain," and his report home called Filipino soldiers intelligent and
"capable of self-government."

       But in February 1899 the U.S. Army concocted a "Gulf of
Tonkin" incident, and attacked Aguinaldo's forces. This forced the
U.S. Senate two days later to approve the peace treaty surrendering
all of Spain's possessions. President McKinley ordered Dewey and
General Wesley Merritt to prevent Aguinaldo's troops from making a
triumphal march into Manila, and appointed a puppet government. What
began as a virtually painless incursion that quickly freed Cuba,
slipped into protracted battles in the Philippines. A slam-dunk war
became a no-end-in-sight occupation.

           White supremacy crossed the Pacific with the U.S. Army.
Officers told their troops "the Filipinos were 'niggers,' no better
than the Indians, and were to be treated as such." A white private
wrote home: "The weather is intensely hot, and we are all tired,
dirty and hungry, so we have to kill niggers whenever we have a
chance, to get even for all our trouble."

      The brave Buffalo Soldiers had entered another conflict rich in
painful ironies. They were under orders from a government and officer
class that had sent them to battle against Native Americans, the
first victims of racial genocide. In the Philippines there mission
was not to liberate but to prevent self-determination for people of
color. Their white officers were shocked to find that their Black
soldiers and Filipinos often became friends not enemies. U.S. General
Robert Hughes wrote: "The darkey troops . . . sent to Samar mixed
with the natives at once. Whenever they came together they became
great friends. When I withdrew the darkey company from Santa Rita I
was told that the natives even shed tears or their going away."

As soon as African American soldiers found themselves arrayed against
a foe fighting for freedom and justice, and some expressed their
anger to Black newspapers. Private William Fulbright saw the U.S.
conducting "a gigantic scheme of robbery and oppression." Trooper
Robert L. Campbell insisted "these people are right and we are wrong
and terribly wrong" and said he would not serve as a soldier because
no man "who has any humanity about him at all would desire to fight
against such a cause as this." John Galloway told how the Army
fostered bigotry: "The whites have begun to establish their
diabolical race hatred in all its home rancor . . . even endeavoring
to propagate the phobia among the Spaniards and Filipinos so as to be
sure of the foundation of their supremacy when the civil rule is
established,"

      In June 1898, after General Aguinaldo issued his declaration of
independence, the U.S. found itself in a war to crush Filipinos who
sought a government of, by and for the people. President McKinley,
eventually sent 70,000 troops, including 6,000 African Americans, on
a mission he called "benevolent assimilation." But it bore the
earmarks of racial warfare and a brutal colonial oppression.

A U.S. press that initially lauded him as a freedom fighter now began
to demonize Aguinaldo. As U.S. corporate investors arrived, the U.S.
Army grew more aggressive and clashes with armed and unarmed
Filipinos became frequent. The San Francisco Argonaut, an influential
Republican paper, spoke candidly of U.S. plans: "We do not want the
Filipinos. We want the Philippines. The islands are enormously rich,
but unfortunately, they are infested with Filipinos." The Argonaut
advocated forms of torture that "would impress the Maylay mind" --
"the rack, the thumbscrew, the trial by fire, the trial by molten
lead, boiling insurgents alive."

      Aguinaldo commanded only twenty regiments, and his men were
largely armed with primitive weapons, but he also enjoyed, as the
U.S. War Department reported in 1900 "almost complete unity of action
of the entire population." General Arthur MacArthur found "the
Filipino masses are loyal to Aguinaldo and the government which he
leads." McArthur concluded the foe "needed bayonet treatment for at
least a decade." His estimate proved prophetic.

   U.S. military forays descended into a series of shameful
atrocities that included the massacre of prisoners, civilian and
military, and entire villages. General William Shafter told a
journalist it might be necessary to kill half the native population
to bring "perfect justice" to the other half. Marine General
Littleton Waller, later known as "the butcher of Samar," issued
orders to "punish Filipino treachery with immediate death."

General Robert Hughes, U.S. commander in Manila, justified the Army's
atrocities against civilians: "The women and children are part of the
family and where you wish to inflict punishment you can punish the
man probably worse in that way than in any other." Asked by a Senator
if this was "civilized warfare," he responded, "These people are not
civilized."

      On the island of Samar Marine Brigadier General "Howling Jake"
Smith called the enemy any male or female "ten years and up" and
pledged to turn Samar into "a howling wilderness." He issued these
orders: "I want no prisoners. I wish you to kill and burn; the more
you kill and burn the better it will please me." Smith had carried
out a similar role when he helped in the massacre of 350 Lakota
villagers at Wounded Knee in 1890.

    Reports from the field told of a war without rules. A Red Cross
worker reported seeing "horribly mutilated Filipino bodies," and
said, "American soldiers are determined to kill every Filipino in
sight." A white Kansan soldier wrote, "The country won't be pacified
until the niggers are killed off like the Indians," and another
wanted "to blow every nigger into a nigger heaven." A soldier from
Washington wrote of bloodthirsty "sights you could hardly believe,"
and concluded, "A white man seems to forget that he is human."

   In the use of torture, the Iraq experience flowed from the
Philippines. Stuart Creighton Miller's fine study of the Philippine
occupation, "Benevolent Assimilation," noted on the island of Luzon,
the U.S. Army uprooted entire rural populations, burned people's
homes, and destroyed their property, including livestock. Surviving
villagers were packed into concentration camps and these were inside
what General Franklin Bell called a "dead zone." "Everything
outside . . . was systematically destroyed - humans, crops, food
stores, domestic animals, houses and boats," Miller wrote. "These
tactics," he concluded, "were the cheapest means of producing a
demoralized and obedient population."

      Captured Filipino prisoners did not live long enough to be sent
to an Abu Gharib. The Army's battle statistics showed five of the
enemy killed to each one wounded, a reversal of the usual ratio in
warfare. Some U.S. journalists were disturbed by the murder, torture
and mass uprooting of civilians. The editor of the Detroit Journal
asked if "the policy of force," which the Spanish had used, will "win
us the respect and affection of a people who are saying almost
unanimously that they do not like us and our ways and that they wish
to be left to themselves?"

      But reporters who saw race as a crucial factor often justified
atrocities. The Associated Press' Charles Ballantine characterized
the foe as "unreliable, untrustworthy, ignorant, vicious, immoral and
lazy . . . tricky, and, as a race more dishonest than any known race
on the face of the earth." A Philadelphia Ledger reporter stated,
"The only thing they know and fear is force, violence and brutality,
and we give it to them." Since the foe was "a noisome reptile" the
Army responded appropriately: "Our men have been relentless; have
killed to exterminate men, women and children, prisoners and
captives, active insurgents and suspected people, from lads of ten
and up . . . ."

      In the Philippines the U.S. torture of choice was not "water
boarding" but "the water cure" which forced water into the stomachs
of victims. One soldier admitted he had used the water cure against
160 Filipino prisoners, and 134 had died. Unlike today's Iraq,
torture were not blamed on "a few bad apples" but justified as
military policy. U.S. Governor of the Philippines [and later
President of the United States and a Supreme Court Chief Justice]
William Howard Taft testified under oath that U.S. soldiers were
under orders to use the "water cure" on captives. [In 1984, in his
powerful dissection of totalitarianism, George Orwell wrote, "The
object of torture is torture."]

      War hero General Frederick Funston, speaking at a Chicago
banquet in his honor, boasted he personally hanged 35 Filipinos
without trial. He also suggested that mobs lynch Americans who signed
peace petitions. Funston, according to testimony before the U.S.
Senate, also ordered his men "to take no prisoners," and personally
administered the "water cure" to captives. President Roosevelt
silenced and reprimanded Funston - not because he exposed Army
policy, but because he thought Funston was using a bellicose image to
run for the White House. Unlike George W. Bush, TR never said, "We do
not torture." And Funston was never tried for his crimes.

   The Philippine occupation was the first war in which United States
officers and soldiers were officially charged with what are now
called war crimes." In 44 military trials, all ended in convictions,
including that of General Jake Smith. But sentences were so light
that world public opinion was shocked. The Baltimore American had to
admit the U.S. occupation "aped" Spain's cruelty and committed crimes
"we went to war to banish."

    After fighting "benevolent assimilation" for almost three years,
in March 1901 Aguinaldo was caught by Colonel Funston. It was a
moment similar to the capture of Saddam Hussein in December 2003 when
many thought the insurgency would end. Washington predicted a swift
end to Filipino resistance, especially after Aguinaldo signed an oath
of allegiance to the U.S. and persuaded fellow officers to accept
amnesty.

      But quagmires do not end swiftly. Six months after the capture
the occupation forces suffered their gravest defeat when Filipino
guerillas, armed with little more than bolos, massacred 45 officers
and enlisted men in Samar. Some pro-Imperialist papers felt they had
been "hoodwinked," others compared it to the Custer massacre at the
Little Big Horn, and General Adna Chaffee conceded it was "utterly
foolish to pretend that the war was over or even that the end is in
sight." The San Francisco Call  said Americans should know from their
history that "a conquered people" do not remain conquered for long.
The Call carried these fearful headlines:

      Warlike Spirit Revives Throughout the Philippines
          And American Troops Facing Hard Fighting
         Tribes Regarded as Pacified Taking Up Arms

The African American press and many Black leaders, as George P. Marks
III shows in The Black Press Views American Imperialism, 1898-1900,
denounced U.S. motives, and some papers embraced Aguinaldo. "We glory
in his spunk," wrote the Parsons Weekly Blade. "I don't think there
is a single colored man, out of office or out of the insane asylum,
who favors the so-called expansion policy," said Howard University
Professor Kelly Miller. Salt Lake City's Broad Ax insisted, "no negro
possessing any race pride can enter heartily into the prosecution of
the war against the Filipinos, and all enlightened negroes must
necessarily arrive at the conclusion that the war is being waged
solely for greed and gold and not in the interest of suffering
humanity." The editor wondered if Filipino resistance did not rest on
a sound knowledge of history: "Maybe the Filipinos have caught wind
of the way Indians and Negroes have been Christianized and civilized."

      Some African Americans directly challenged imperialism. Anti-
lynching crusader, Ida B. Wells insisted that her people reject U.S
overseas ventures until Black citizens were protected. Lewis
Douglass, Civil War hero and son of Frederick Douglass, called
imperialism as "extension of race hate and cruelty, barbarous
lynchings and gross injustice to dark people." Stanley Ruffin of
Boston said: "We shall neither fight for such a country or with such
an army." Bishop Henry Turner opposed the Army's recruitment of
African Americans, and expressed his contempt for Black soldiers
"fighting to subjugate a people of their own color," " I can scarcely
keep from saying that I hope the Filipinos will wipe such soldiers
from the face of the earth."

      During the Philippine campaign, as in Viet Nam war and in
today's Iraq thousands of Americans of both races formed anti-
imperialist and peace societies, held protest meetings and circulated
petitions to denounce atrocities and call for the withdrawal of U.S.
forces. The most visible anti-imperialist voice was Mark Twain who
caustically suggested a new Philippine flag: "We can have our usual
flag, with the white stripes painted black and the stars replaced by
the skull and crossbones."

           However, the Middle East today and the Philippines a
century ago were also sharply different. First, Saddam Hussein was no
Emilio Aguinaldo, a beloved liberator of his people who admired the
Declaration of Independence and sought a republican form of
government. Second, George W. Bush is no Teddy Roosevelt, a gifted
orator, an avid reader, a man who revered the Constitution, an
intellectual and author of many respected books, and the first
American to win the Noble Peace Prize. For all his pugnacious
nationalism and warmongering, TR did not try to impose his vision on
the world. In two races for the White House he neither undermined the
Constitution nor subverted the election process. In office he
appointed not inexperienced cronies but competent public servants.
His "New Nationalism" dared to support women's suffrage, child labor
laws, and old age pensions. And he lived the life he advocated.

   Though race played a role in both occupations, a hundred years had
changed its rhetoric, rules and face. In a rigidly segregated Army in
1906 Buffalo Soldiers never knew when they would have to defend
themselves against white civilians, the bigotry of their officers or
their commander in chief in the White House. Statesman studiously
avoid provocative racism. Because an integrated Army needs minority
recruits, and to preserve order in the ranks, it  requires symbols
such as General Colin Powell.

      However, after 9-11 racism resurfaced when President Bush
announced a "crusade" in the Middle East, and Arab-American women,
men and children were subjected to street attacks. Though he visited
a mosque and did not mention "crusade" again, Bush's message reached
Iraq. "They're all just rag heads to me, the same way they used to
call the enemy gooks in Viet Nam," Corporal Jeb Moser of Ruston,
Louisiana told a journalist. The Abu Gharib abuses, the destruction
of 70% of the holy city of Fallujah, the desecration of the Koran to
humiliate prisoners, the use of "collective punishment" - -- seem
like echoes of Lidice, Malmady and World War II Japanese
concentration camps.

   The Philippine war proved unique in one way. Twenty U.S. soldiers,
including twelve African Americans, abandoned combat against a cause
they considered just, and defected to Aguinaldo. After his arrival in
1899 Corporal David Fagen of the Black 24th Infantry Regiment
witnessed atrocities against Filipinos, and was subjected to
discrimination. In six months he joined the insurgents who made him a
Captain. For two years and known as "General Fagen" by his men, he
deftly mauled U.S. forces eight times. The United States press
fulminated over Fagen and the Army offered a $600 reward for him dead
or alive, but he fought into 1901 when he and his Filipino wife
disappeared into the interior and reportedly lived out peaceful lives.

      In 1898 Teddy Roosevelt returned to New York and in November
won election as governor. Two days later in Wilmington, North
Carolina, a racist political campaign ended with a white rabble
driving African American office-holders and residents from the city.
Known as the "Wilmington Riot" and the only coup d'etat in U.S.
history, it drew no federal intervention. But it did introduce a
quarter century of coordinated daylight mob assaults on African
American communities south and north.

            In 1900 Roosevelt became Vice President, and after a
deranged anarchist assassinated McKinley in 1901, he became the
youngest man to enter the White House. TR labeled anarchists "and
passive sympathizers with anarchists" as "the enemy of all mankind"
and asked Congress to bar them from the country. He also wanted to
deny entrance to foreigners who failed literacy or "economic fitness"
tests, or did not "appreciate American institutions." Congress
largely ignored his suggestions and he moved on.

Although TR promised the average citizen a "square deal," his leading
advisors were six men from the J. P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller
financial empires. He also waved a "big stick" in foreign policy.
When "contemptible little creatures in Bogotá" rejected his offer to
build a canal through Columbia's Panama region, he prepared a message
to Congress urging seizure of Panama "without any further parlay with
Columbia." TR struck this smoking gun from his final draft, but in
1903 when Panamanians revolted in a plot shaped at the Morgan offices
on Wall Street, he dispatched a fleet that deterred Columbia from
intervening. The President granted Panama recognition in ninety
minutes, and was rewarded with a generous ten-mile wide zone for his
canal. The President, the New York Times said, swayed by the "heady
wine of territorial adventure," chose "the path of scandal, disgrace
and dishonor." TR denied he "had any part in preparing, inciting or
encouraging the revolution," but in 1911 he admitted, "I took the
Canal Zone and let the Congress debate."

           From the White House, TR defended the Philippine
occupation more vigorously than McKinley. He referred to the
insurgents as "Chinese half-breeds," and called the conflict "the
most glorious war in our nation's history." Meanwhile in the
archipelago the U.S. had entered its first quagmire in Asia. Troops
lived in fear of deadly assaults, and morale began to sink. In 1901 a
U.S. correspondent reported that sporadic guerilla attacks often took
the lives of one or two U.S. soldiers, and these deaths created a
"spirit of bitterness [in] the rank and file of the army." The writer
concluded: "that the Filipino hates us . . . and permanent guerilla
warfare will continue for years."

           The Democrats made imperialism their issue in 1900 against
McKinley, and again against TR in 1904, and lost badly both times. In
1904 the popular war hero swamped the Democrats by more than two and
a half million votes, and carried an additional six states.

           In 1911 military actions came to an end in the
Philippines. In more than a dozen years of warfare the United States
fought 2,800 engagements and lost 4,234 soldiers. [Another 5,462
Americans lost their lives to disease and condemned beef war
profiteers sold to the Army.] More than two hundred thousand
Filipinos died. A U.S. Congress that promised self-determination
spent $170 million fighting it. Aguinaldo remained a national hero
and lived to see the Philippines gain independence after World War II.

          In 2003 George W. Bush called the Philippine occupation a
model for Iraq and on October 18, 2003 he traveled to Manila seeking
allies for his war on terrorism. Speaking to a joint session of the
Philippine parliament, he said: "Together our soldiers liberated the
Philippines from colonial rule."

     Though European-style imperial ambitions arrived late in the
United States, they took root in the racial violence planted by
Columbus. On his first day in the Americas, Columbus's Diary reveals,
"I took some of the natives by force" and during his first two weeks
in the New World his Diary mentions gold 75 times. When he shipped
ten Arawak men and women to Spain's King Ferdinand, he wrote, "From
here, in the name of the Blessed Trinity, we can send all the slaves
that can be sold." In this act he began the trans-Atlantic slave
trade, and cast the cape of religiosity over genocide in the Americas.

      When the United States reached abroad its past offered choices.
In 1776 Americans were the first people in the world to pledge their
lives and sacred honor and to shed their blood to overthrow colonial
tyranny. These better angles of our history were only used as
rhetoric. For centuries the country justified slavery and genocide,
created Indian reservations and permitted lynching, and then sent its
armies overseas. Hearst's New York Journal saluted imperialism as
destiny: "The weak must go to the wall and stay there . . . . We'll
rule in Asia as we rule at home. We shall establish in Asia a branch
agent of the true American movement towards liberty."

      A lethal mix of U.S. commercial greed, haughty Anglo-Saxon
entitlement and Christian piety devastated Filipino villages. The
U.S. military wrote the script for modern imperialist aggression.

      The world's most violent century began when the liberation of
the Philippines morphed into conquest. The occupation became the
template for 20th century foreign interventions in Asia, Africa and
elsewhere. The tragic sequels are well known: the bloodbath of World
War I, fascist invasions culminating in World War II, undeclared
wars, military intrusions, and an Iraq invasion that introduced the
21st century.
William Loren Katz, author of 40 history volumes, based this essay on
research for his two most recent books, THE CRUEL YEARS: AMERICAN
VOICES AT THE DAWN OF THE 20TH CENTURY [Beacon Press, 2003] and the
revised THE BLACK WEST [Harlem Moon/Random House, 2005]