FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:17:00 -0800
Dear Carolyn,

We are so frequently on the same corporate issues; one of Barbara George's
and my pending publications is on Parmalat, in part.

Thank you so much for your slides.  They will help me argue at our graduate
curriculum committee that the Legal Environment/Ethics course should not be
eliminated in all of our MBA programs: core, executive and accelerated. And
this, at a time when our Ethical Center, of which I am Associate Director,
is offering faculty stipends across the curriculum, so that all university
disciplines can integrate an ethics module in their courses!

It does seem that we do keep getting into the same turf wars to protect our
business law courses, and I think it's an excellent idea to expand our
objectives to include a focus on why awareness of the legal and ethical
ramifications of corporate decision-making can enhance executive
performance.  Since I am out in the business community all of the time these
days with my Center, it is clear to me that the Boeings and Verizons are
willing to support various ethics initiatives, but want to see it couched in
a more concrete way than just trying to "do the right thing".

CSULB does have a ranking of Business Law Journals that I am happy to share,
but I don't seem to have an electronic copy.  I will request one from my
colleague.  While I don't think ALSB should commit itself to any ranking, I
think sharing information among ourselves, can facilitate each member's
ability to tailor a policy that is relevant and persuasive in their
institution.

Best regards, Kathleen

Kathleen A. Lacey, Professor of Legal Studies
Associate Director Ukleja Center for Ethical Leadership
Calif. State University, Long Beach
College of Business Administration
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840