ZOO408A Archives

March 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:54:44 -0500
Greetings... I  can't remember, but I know I've read posts from members to
this list or the AMV list regarding Great Blue Heron rookeries in Butler and
possibly Preble Counties. Does anyone know how many rookeries there are in
the area? How large they might be, and how long they've been active?

There's an active rookery in Mason in Warren County, just east of the Butler
County line. I'm not sure how long it's been around, but a couple local
birder/photographers from the Cincinnati area visit the site regularly.
http://cincinnatibirds.com/message/showthread.php?Thread=484

I was wondering about the other local sites.

I'm not planning pilgrimages, stealth visits to private property, etc., I am
merly curious.

Thanks.

Incidentally, there's a Red-tailed Hawk nest at Gilmore Ponds, along the
canal and ditches west of the Gilmore Road parking lot. It's in a 20-acre
parcel that MetroParks bought a couple years back with help from Clean Ohio
Funds. Governor Taft's legacy is decidedly mixed, but the Clean Ohio Fund
has had good results, I think.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH