Re: Planning Workshop

Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:34:19 -0500

I wonder if the actual title of this workshop is meant to be
"Redesigning"
and not "Resigning" though obviously some of the folks I talk with have
to be "resigned" to having less funding to work with.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian, Special Collections
John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
850-474-2213

-----Original Message-----
From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Planning Workshop

*Apologies for any cross-postings.*
*The following is a press release from Aaron Cohen Associates, Ltd. An
HTML version of this news release may be read on the Web site at:
http://www.acohen.com/neworleans.htm *

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 23, 2006
*Press Contact*
914-271-8170
Carol Ninkovich, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Annual Library Space Planning Workshop

Workshop
Helps New Orleans Public Libraries to Succeed after Hurricane Katrina

*New Orleans**, LA** -* The purpose for *"Resigning the Libraries with
Limited Funds"* is to inform Librarians of the benefits and urgent
necessity of cost effective design and the consideration of disaster
planning in the construction of our community libraries.

To renovate a library with limited resources, it is essential to
understand the basic facility requirements for collections, staff,
users, programs, meetings, and social spaces. This 1-day workshop will
address opportunities in library building design and options for
rebuilding interiors.

The day will run from *9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.* During the session,
emphasis will be placed upon existing facilities and techniques for
improvements with limited resources. Attendees will share methods to
develop welcoming environments and participate in a facilitated
discussion that focuses on what patrons want to visit and need to use.

In Post-Katrina New Orleans, the Libraries must be rebuilt with limited
funds. By attending a day with local librarians who experienced the
reality of Post-Katrina service issues this is a unique opportunity to
learn from their experiences. The group will share ways to improve the
facility, and renovate space with limited funds. Facilitators will help
attendees develop a forward-thinking, high-tech, and environmentally
conscious designs. Experts will tour a New Orleans Library facility,
participate in a visual scan of damaged spaces, learn from building
experts to gain an understanding of best practice planning activities.

The library is a place for browsing, electronic access, group-to-group
interactions, and individual study and research. These unique services
need to be rebuilt with local resources. For example, plans to renovate
a facility must include cost-effective building solutions and
imagination. Funding approvals are usually based on clear answers to the

following questions.

/* What does the library have compared to what it needs?

/* How can redundancies be reduced and materials processing streamlined?

/* Can the renovation create an image; an idea; excitement for the
community?

/* What strategies are needed to launch a cost effective improvement
program?

Aaron Cohen Associates LTD has over 35 years experience in the
development of short and long range library building studies for Public,

School, Academic, Law, Medical, Corporate and Government Libraries. Our
principles have completed over 350 building studies, and authored two
books on library space planning and design, a book on designing the
electronic office, chapters in several books, and numerous articles for
library and academic journals.

/Participants are encouraged to bring their plans and building programs.

As time is available after the workshop, the consultants will critique
them. /

ALL PROCEEDS WILL GO TO THE *"FRIENDS OF THE NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC
LIBRARY"*

For directions to this special seminar, visit
http://www.acohen.com/neworleans.htm

Instructor: Alex Cohen