ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Dan Spector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 14:32:24 -0400
I have been a passive member of this Listserv for some time, and I
suspect this topic has been covered before, but I could use a little
information. If only I had kept my old emails. I work in an elementary
school where a sixth grade language arts teacher recently told me that
she does not believe her students are able to handle the abstract nature
of grammar. My suspicion is that she just doesn't want to teach grammar.
Is there something I could lean on--research, position statement,
anything--to support my belief that she is wrong? There is a larger
grammar conversation on the horizon and I would like to know all that I
can about when formal grammar instruction might be introduced.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan Spector