ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Kathleen Bethell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 15:53:39 -0400
Herb,
Thanks very much for your thoughtful response! I'm particularly struck by
your comment that:

"Much of the text material that we study grammatically is text that they
collect to the specifications of a particular assignment or text that they
write themselves or in small groups.  The exceptions to this are some short
passages and short poems that I select because they illustrate particular
points."

Using genuine and student-created texts sounds like a terrific way to make
the study of grammar real instead of abstract. Your goal of giving students
the skills they need to discover answers independently is one I'll need to
adopt. Because I am developing my course for online delivery, I'll need to
work up assignments that make independent inquiry seem worthwhile (we know
it is, but sometimes our students need convincing).

-- Kathleen