ARCHIVES  May 2006, Week 1

ARCHIVES May 2006, Week 1

Re: Chronicle on NARA reclassification (May 5 edition)

Tue, 2 May 2006 13:10:22 -0400

Hi, Annemarie and List members!

Bill Leonard became director of NARA's Information Security Oversight
Office in June 2002 (see bio at
http://www.archives.gov/isoo/about/director.html  ).  Mr. Leonard's
predecessor as ISOO director, Steve Garfinkel, retired in January 2002.

Consequently, the October 24, 2001 and March 7, 2002 classification
MOUs were signed prior to Mr. Leonard coming to NARA.  (See
http://www.archives.gov/declassification/background.html ).  The NARA
ISOO director was not a signatory.

I do not know when Mr. Leonard became aware of the contents of the two
MOUs.  However, he would not have had an opportunity to weigh in on
whether or not to sign them because they were a "done deal" by the time
he came to NARA.  I don't know whether his predecessor, Steve
Garfinkel, spoke up within the agency about the October 24, 2001
agreement.

Garfinkel generally had a good rep from what I have read publicly.  As
to my experiences, well, dot dot dot.   I worked collegially with
Garfinkel during the 1970s, when he was a government lawyer who
assisted the National Archives.  He helped craft some of the guidance
we archivists applied to Nixon's records -- I later testified about
that fact.  I give him credit for working well with us during the 1970s
and early 1980s.  However, I was shocked and disappointed in some of
the statements about NARA's Nixon Project attributed to Garfinkel in Sy
Hersh's 1992 New Yorker article about the Nixon tapes.  Because of
that, I can't be considered an unbiased observer of his career in
total.  I acknowledge that although he disappointed me during the Nixon
litigation in 1992 (as did all the government's lawyers, in a lawsuit
where Nixon was a legal Intervenor), that doesn't mean he didn't handle
his ISOO duties well.  I never worked with him at ISOO.

As to why Michael Kurtz rather than Governor Carlin signed the MOUs,
Mr. Kurtz is the senior executive (Assistant Archivist) in charge of
the Office of Records Services.  That office deals with the heart and
soul of NARA's processing and reference work.  See
http://www.archives.gov/about/organization/summary/records-services-washi
ngton.html .  Setting aside the question of whether the MOUs should
have been signed in the first place, it's hard for me to say whether he
or Gov. Carlin should have been the signing official.   I don't know
what NARA's past  practice has been with MOUs of this sort so I lack
some context.  On the one hand, Mr. Kurtz would have been more of a
technical expert than Gov. Carlin, having worked his way up the ranks
within the Archives.  Governor Carlin had no archival experience when
he took charge of NARA in 1995.  On the other hand, an agency head
sometimes takes a "the buck stops here" approach to certain matters and
lends his name to them for that reason.  Hard to say how and why things
played out as they did.

I've tried to put myself in both their shoes.  Say I headed an office
which had to sign a technical agreement dealing with complex records
management issues.  My own expertise is mostly on the archives and
history end, not the records management end.  If I had a bright,
reliable, and super knowledgeable records management expert, such as
Peter Kurilecz, working for me, I'd might be ok with Peter telling me
he had vetted the agreement and was willing to sign it.  On the other
hand, I also might decide, well, I'm paid to take the heat as well as
the glory, who knows how this will play out, I'll let him brief me but
it might as well be my signature on the document.  (What would the rest
of you do???)

Of course, we don't know who vetted the document before Mr. Kurtz
signed it, what General Counsel may have advised, etc.  And it's not
clear to me how much Mr. Kurtz talked to Gov. Carlin about it before it
was signed.

Of course, it's hard for me to see myself signing an MOU which stated
that it was in the best interests of the signatories to mislead
researchers.  I would have fought hard to try to make the external
parties understand NARA's need to protect its image and credibility.
And to treat the public with respect and honor.   I think it is
perfectly possible to do that and still to ensure that information that
requires restriction is handled properly.  Heck, that's the issue we
archivists fought for in 1989 with the Nixon tapes.  And why I took a
new job in January 1990.  To what extent NARA did or did not resist
signing the MOUs, I simply don't know.  Nor do we know what pressure
was applied, etc.

Which leads me back to the balance of power and NARA's position within
government.  How much you try to fight back against pressure is going
to depend on the people involved, your ability to form strategic
alliances, the atmosphere in Washington, and other various
circumstances.  We don't know the whole story yet in this
reclassification controversy.  In his thoughtful article on
Presidential Libraries, Richard Cox quotes from an article by Dan Reed
and Ray Geselbracht on "The Presidential Library and the White House