FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:09:50 -0500
I wonder if anyone presenting at St. Petersburg is doing a paper on
the topic "unitary executive" and it's corollary, "signing
statements."  In the N.Y. Review dated June 22, Elizabeth Drew (who
shares my contempt for the W) relates that instead of taking "care
that the laws be faithfully executed," the W "claims the power to
execute the laws as he interprets them, ignoring congressional
intent."  She quotes Senator Chuck Hagel (R-Neb):

		There's a very clear pattern of aggressively asserting executive
power, and the Congress has essentially been complicit in letting
		him do it.  The key is that Bush has a Republican Congress; of
course if it was a Clinton presidency we'd be holding hearings."

Bill Clinton also used signing statements.  The article implies that
he did it far less frequently and that his objections were explicit
in relating how the act infringed on presidential powers.  "Bush
asserts broad powers without being specific in his objections or
saying how he plans to implement the law."

		The power grab has received little attention because it has been
carried out largely in obscurity.  The press took little notice until
		Bush, on January 5 of this year, after signing a bill containing
the McCain amendment, which placed prohibitions on torture, quietly
		filed a separate pronouncement, a "signing statement," that he
would interpret the bill as he wished.

If anyone is doing a paper on this, and if Elizabeth Drew's article
is wrong and misleading, could we please communicate on the issue?

Thanks, Bill