ARCHIVES  June 2006, Week 3

ARCHIVES June 2006, Week 3

Re: Further Musings on the Necessity for Formal Education

"Wohleber, Lynne" <[log in to unmask]>

Wohleber, Lynne

Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:29:51 -0400

I would like to reinforce Richard's "recipe" for the well trained archivist:   Seventeen years ago I became the untrained archivist of the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh, with the only background for such a position having been the volunteer librarian of a 2000+ library of needlework books that were requested by mail and a need to be filled.   After two weeks on my own in my new position, I realized that it was a complex job which needed more than bluffing my way through.   Pitt offered a way to secure a good education in the foundation of archives through the Grad School of Library Science, and I became one of Richard's advisees. At the time I completed my studies, because the Department of Archives at Pitt was in its infancy, the course on arrangement and description had not been finalized and I did not have the opportunity to take it.  In the ensuing years, I discovered that it was one of the courses that would have made life a little simpler, as would a course on historical research.  What my formal education in the field did was enable me to take what had already been done and move beyond  the 30 sheets of legal tablet inventory of the collection I inherited, and to be able to appraise and organize a variety of materials from the many churches we have closed over the years.  I do regret not being able to keep up with the challenges in the field because of lack of funding, lack of institutional support, and lack of vision for the future of the archives, but if I had it to do over again I would take this route over learning it all  on the fly.

Lynne F. Wohleber, Archivist
Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
900 Oliver Building
535 Smithfield St.