ARCHIVES  June 2006, Week 3

ARCHIVES June 2006, Week 3

Re: archivists, librarians, and the need for advanced degrees....

Steven Rhodes <[log in to unmask]>

Steven Rhodes <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:36:31 -0400

The position is paid biweekly, so the range would be $44,000 - $54,000 annually. More reasonable.

Steven B. Rhodes
Archivist
NARA
Washington National Records Center
Suitland, MD
(301) 778-1549

>>> John Erdmann <[log in to unmask]> 6/15/2006 4:25:25 PM >>>
A Masters degree is required for a job offering only 19,000 dollars a
year (see below)?  What is this craziness?  This discussion about the
difference between L's and A's seems ridiculous when you realize that
all of these jobs require so much formal education, yet offer so
little income.  For the job listed below, I doubt $19,000 would allow
the lucky employee to live in Washington, DC, let alone pay off
his/her student loans.  Public school teachers get paid substantially
more, and with less education!

In this rush to be considered "professional", these trades are now
requiring more and more formal education.  Unfortunately, the level
of income has not corresponded with the requirement for advanced
education.  This appears to be true both for librarians and
archivists.

I wonder, how did archivists and librarians ever got along before
requiring advanced degrees and/or certifications?  Are the respective
fields better for it?  I have talked to so many librarians who have
told me that their experience in library school was virtually
worthless.  Many have told me that the first job  offered the best
training.

John

--
John Erdmann