Re: Archival Education

"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>

A.S.E. Fairfax

Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:57:53 -0700

Like you,I did have some experience in archival and historical research
before I enrolled in my archival program, which was a certificated path of
study together with that of (Public) Records Management situatuated in the
Master's in History Degree program at my university. The archival track
required the M.A. for certification and could be taken in tandem or after
the achievement of the M.A. The records management track did not require the
M.A.  I thought it beneficial to receive both.

 I was selected for the program based on my previous experience and other
undergraduate degrees.  I found I really appreciated my graduate level
history studies adjunct to the archival program for many reasons.  I find
that the understanding of the long-term historical aspect in the
identification and selection of archival records, their placement in the
larger picture of what other records are available or will be in the future,
relate to or are supported by the value in any given body of records ( as
well as their own content) are key. In addition, my education has helped me
in understanding the need to research and understand the historiographical
context of source materials whether for research purposes or understanding
the records themselves. Compiling agency histories and placing them in a
larger context from primary sources is a skill enhanced by my graduate
history studies. I feel that this, taken together, enhances in turn my
ability to work as an archivist--something I do as both a public employee
and a private contractor. Feeling the need to be well-rounded,  I am a
certified museum curator (certificate also dependent on the M.A.) and have a
certificate in conservation as well.

Strictly necessary?  NO, but I can understand the variety of approaches
given to archives in various institutions by these fields far better than
someone without this background. I personally feel that my qualifications
would be further enhanced by additional advanced education in history, and
more theoretical and practical education in related fields such as library
and information studies and management-- in spite of my qualifying
certification as an archivist from both SAA and my graduate program, and the
time I have already spent researching the discipline. Some of my work has
taken me into libraries and knowing where the cognitive and pracical schisms
between the fields lie has helped enormously.

Given the demands of rapidly changing technology, the convergence of
disciplines owing in part to the online environment,I don't think I can
ignore the array of educational opportunities addressing the world of
informatics, computing, computers and other associated
technology--digitization, photography, cognitive studies for reference, the
development of description, finding aids and indices, and more.

Is this to suggest that I am an education junkee?  Perhaps, but the better
my mastery of both the intellectual and philosophical issues affecting the
issues and my role as an archivist as well as the practical, technical ones,
the better prepared I am to provide reliable appraisal and identification as
well as suitable controls on and access to the records within my circle of
influence (Small though it may be.)

I really enjoy learning new ways to apply and understand my current bag of
tricks, but it also helps me exercise my professional muscles as well.  Can
I expect a raise commensurate with new learning?  You must be joking. What's
stricly necessary for the work?  I guess it depends on what your
expectations are for the performance of it.  This is, of course, an opinion
that has pointedly left out the uncomfortable subject of finding the means
to do it all.
To that I say, I feel your pain and suggest grants, scholarships, and a
weekend screening of the movie "Kind Hearts and Coronets".

Have a fine weekend!

Elizabeth Fairfax