ARCHIVES  August 2006, Week 2

ARCHIVES August 2006, Week 2

Re: Call to action: Comment on proposed reduction in NARA reading room hours

Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:39:31 -0400

Although I agree that ideally, access shouldn't be limited by virtue of
restricted hours solely to professional researchers and people with
sufficient vacation time to use some of that time for research, I am at
a loss as to what NARA should do, given its huge pending budget
shortfall.  ($20 million as I recall.)  So, I'll ask members of the
List another question:  what would you cut, in order to keep the
existing research room hours?  Federal managers often frame questions
this way:  for every project for which we approve spending, we have to
decide not to spend elsewhere.  So, what would you cut?

There are few options for an agency which, like most civil agencies,
probably spends some 70 or 80% of its budget on people costs (salaries,
benefits, the total compensation package for employees, if you will).
Yes, there is a buyout at NARA right now.  Some employees will take it
and retire by October 1.  Of course, you can't force people to retire.
Yes, there's a hiring freeze.  But what else can NARA do to cut costs?
I don't know if it is feasible to cancel some contracts to cut down on
contracting costs.  I would hope it won't have to furlough staff or to
fire people.  Where would you make the cuts in existing programs, to
come up with the amount of the shortfall?

Most of us probably are pretty like-minded about the need to support
NARA.  Unfortunately, I don't see a large constituency for NARA, either
among knowledge-seekers (academic scholars and government researchers)
or those simply looking narrowly for factual information (a relative's
military record, etc.)  Unfortunately, that means its constituents
don't have a lot of leverage, there isn't a huge, well-orgnized and
effective lobby out there to speak on behalf of NARA's users.  Of
course, I'm with Richard, those of us who care do need to keep trying!

Maarja