Re: Question Re: frappr map

E K <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:01:45 -0400

Yay, Maarja on frapper!  The next thing we know, you'll be blogging <*g*>!

I suspect that many of the head shot type photos on frappr (including
mine) are from already available shots on the web.  My pic is from the
faculty directory at the university where I work, so this picture was
already available from google, if someone was trying to find an image
of me.

I can't think of any downsides to a professional pic on the web.  I've
been part of flickr, an online image sharing group, since its
inception, and I've only found one downside to putting up images for
public view.  You have to accept that someone can use the picture for
a purpose you didn't give permission for.  For instance, I have used
images of David Bowie in personal art projects; he didn't give me
permission, and I pulled his pics for free off the web.  Once a friend
of mine posted a pic of her new ankle tattoo, and it was linked to by
a foot fetish site.  Although she was flattered, she removed the
picture from flickr.

I doubt anyone would abuse a frapper shot though; if I recall
correctly, they are only 100x100 pixels, and therefore too small to
mishandle will any intent.

Think of it like a yearbook shot.  Sure, someone *could* draw a
mustache on you, but they probably won't!

Elizabeth Keathley