Re: Question Re: frappr map

E K <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:30:14 -0400

Perusing the pictures on frappr, I came to the conclusion that the
median age of those posting their photos there is well above 30.

What a professional picture has to do with one's age is beyond me.  It
seems that every time a new tech toy gets discussed on the list, a
generation reference is somehow thrown in.  I find this odd, as some
of the most enthusiastic archives tech users I know (and have learned
from) are baby boomers.

A more accurate way to frame the debate would be around the comfort
level one has with one's digital presence, or maybe around the growing
education gap between those who have money for continuing ed. and
those who don't.

But reducing the argument to a generational one rings false as I scan
the faces of my fellow archivists.  It really is like looking at a
reflection of the profession; or, at least, the reflection of those in
the profession willing to take an extra step to reach out to their
peers on the net.

Elizabeth Keathley