ARCHIVES  September 2006, Week 1

ARCHIVES September 2006, Week 1

RAIN 060901 Spoliation, Lennon Files, Missing Files, Ediscovery Rules

Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Sep 2006 22:04:01 -0400

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories
related to records and archives management.

Search Terms Mean Savings in E-Discovery
Kamal Kamara
Friday, September 1, 2006
With the impending changes in the federal rules related to electronic
discovery, opposing parties will be required to discuss any and all
discovery issues involving electronically stored information (ESI).
<http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLTN.jsp?id=115694380367
8>

United Rentals Buys Into ILM
Byteandswitch.com - New York,NY,USA
As anybody who has tried to implement it knows, successful information
lifecycle management (ILM) usually requires more pieces than any single
storage vendor ...
<http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=102780&WT.svl=news1_1>

Ways to unclog children's too-slow, spyware-stuffed IBM laptops
Belleville News-Democrat - Belleville,IL,USA
... try to install that device. So, you need to erase all memory of the
printer from the computer's records. Right-click on My Computer ...
<http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/living/15414766.htm>

Education Dept. Shared Student Data With FBI
New York Times - United States
... agency you need to be persistent,” Ms. McGann said. “And I learned
that public documents are really a wealth of stories.”.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/01/washington/01educ.html?ref=us>

Documents: A Shred of Safety in Pennsylvania
Bank Technology News - USA
... He says that in addition to providing easy document dumps for
consumers
and small businesses, the product's Web verification of document
destruction
also has ...
<http://www.banktechnews.com/article.html?id=20060829XCZU1N3Q>

Found after 30 years - the names of 707 First World War heroes
Bedford Today - UK
... "Two years down the line, after starting my search in the National
Army Museum, then the Bedford archives, the National Archives and then
finally Woburn Abbey ...
<http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=545&ArticleID=
1733706>

Local6.com
Disney's Finger Scan Upgrade Raises Privacy Concerns
<http://www.local6.com/news/9774630/detail.html?taf=orlpn>

Lungfish documents 'suppressed for dam'
The Australian - Sydney,Australia
... University in Sydney, first raised the claims of document-shredding
on August ... Primary Industries (which published the reports) to shred
any documents they were ...
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,20332503%2
55E30417,00.html>

Email Archives: Navigating Storage Can Be a Minefield
Bank Technology News - USA
... Association of Securities Dealers cracks down on smaller firms for
email retention violations ... But the flip side of retention is
destruction,
and this may be one ...
<http://www.banktechnews.com/article.html?id=20060829QJV5T49M>

How Much Is Your Customers' Trust Worth?
Destination CRM - New York,NY,USA
... addressed. Data broker ChoicePoint was recently fined $15 million by
the FTC because 163,000 consumer records were compromised. ...
<http://www.destinationcrm.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=6245>

IT Management, Fri, 01 Sep 2006 6:15 AM PDT
Understanding Your 'Idiot' Manager
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3624181
"I don't give a sh*t what you think." That was the answer I received
the very first time I asked for a raise. It was stated
matter-of-factly, as if I was just another irrelevant cog in the system.

InfoWorld, Fri, 01 Sep 2006 1:10 PM PDT
Enterprises face new e-discovery rules
( InfoWorld ) - Demand for data storage and retrieval products will
increase thanks to new rules governing how digital documents are
gathered for civil cases in U.S. federal courts. Among other things,
the amended Federal
Rules for Civil Procedures (FRCP) delineate how enterprises must
respond when compelled to produce documents in a lawsuit. They also let
judges decide whether a records
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/09/01/HNediscoveryrules_1.html>

Peeblesshire News, Fri, 01 Sep 2006 5:29 AM PDT
Reading all about it
http://www.peeblesshirenews.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=771&format=
html
INNERLEITHEN’S ancient print works are turning over an old leaf this
summer. The National Trust for Scotland bought Smail’s business over
twenty years ago but piles of inherited documents dating back to the
1850s have not been touched until now.

No family fortunes made in attic raids for Archives Roadshow
Waterford News - Waterford,Ireland
... old treasures. City Archivist Donal Moore said they organised the
socalled
“Archives Roadshow”, to mark Heritage Week. Before ...
<http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story.asp?j=23017>

Century up for 'unlucky' 13
Yorkshire Post Today - Leeds,Yorkshire,UK
... By 1906 one of the problems the game was facing was the increased
threat
 from soccer," explained Dr Tony Collins, the Rugby Football League's
official
archivist ...
<http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=120&ArticleI
D=1735992>

Diary captures pivotal moment in Australian history
 The Age - Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
... "I suggested the State Library should at least know about it, but
they
didn't want folks to know they had it. I persuaded them to ...
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/diary-captures-pivotal-moment-in-
australian-history/2006/09/01/1156817099276.html>

Missing files prompt effort at regulation in Lakemoor
Chicago Daily Herald (subscription) - Chicago,IL,USA
After two official files went missing in recent weeks, Lakemoor trustees
are considering an ordinance to regulate how and when documents can be
taken from ...
<http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=223172>

Document tools feature intuitive user interface
Engineer Live - London,London,UK
... With M-Files, a company can manage all of its documents from small
office memos to complex CAD drawings. Paper documents are also easy to
enter into M-Files. ...
<http://www.engineerlive.com/news/16321/document-tools-feature-intuitive-
user-interface.thtml>

Lennon FBI Files Put California Professor on Long, Winding Road
Bloomberg - USA
... may decide this month whether to appeal or to supply the remaining
documents, said Dan ... The Lennon files are part of a larger collection
of FBI files that show ...
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aYPEWScUmGeI&refer=u
k>

Bentonville : Retailer: Did not destroy files
Arkansas Democrat Gazette - AR,USA
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. didn’t destroy documents subpoenaed in the federal
criminal investigation of Tom Coughlin, a company spokesman said
Thursday.
<http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/165236/>

Employee Files Whistle-Blower Suit Against Wal-Mart
Springdale Morning News - Springdale,AR,USA
... against her employer, claiming it violated the federal
Sarbanes-Oxley
Act by retaliating against Miles after she protested the alleged
shredding
of documents ...
<http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/09/01/news/0901wmlawsuit.txt>

Belgian Authorities Destroy Holocaust Records
Canada Free Press - Canada
... the leader of the Flemish Christian-Democrats, suggested that the
destruction
of the ... Records relating to the so-called "phantom trains" have also
disappeared. ...
<http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/brussels090106.htm>

The Mysterious Wagner Archive in Hitler's Bayreuth Residence
Bloomberg - USA
By Manuela Hoelterhoff. Sept. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The Richard Wagner
National
Archive in Bayreuth, Germany, has a mysterious and slightly sinister
reputation.
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=apM5OhFrX7Zo&refer=h
ome>

Pitcher perfect
Canada.com - Hamilton,Ontario,Canada
... Created from carefully restored original glass negatives, the
photographs
not only offer an intimate, gritty glimpse of baseball's earliest stars,
but also ...
<http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=d75c97af-433c-49ed-a6b
2-5e2057ff2a71&k=92331>

The Deming Headlight, Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:14 PM PDT
Archivist helps save Hatch history
http://www.demingheadlight.com/community/ci_4269510
LAS CRUCES — An archivist from the New Mexico State University Library
is helping the village of Hatch preserve much of its history after this
month's flooding.

Abilene Reporter-News, Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:49 PM PDT
$2.2 million gift will make historical items available
http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/nw_local/article/0,1874,ABIL_7959_49607
23,00.html
Much history lies locked away in the vaults of five public and
university libraries, difficult to find and sometimes too fragile to
handle safely.

Peter A. Kurilecz
Richmond, Va