ARCHIVES  September 2006, Week 1

ARCHIVES September 2006, Week 1

Re: Advise on donation of books and art collection

Jessica Tucker <[log in to unmask]>

Jessica Tucker <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:20:39 -0500

I would be extrememly suspicious of this offer. I can not say for certain that it is a hoax, but there are several warning flags. For instance, if this woman actually is in Moscow and is presumably in the financial position to have these valuable works of art, I find it odd that she would not have reliable e-mail access. Internet cafes are very common and widely used in the capital. Second, the location is somewhat odd for a law firm - almost on the campus of Moscow State University and far from any financial or business centers that I know of.
Most worrisome, however, is the art itself. Even if the offer is legitimate, removing it from Russia could be very problematic from a legal and practical standpoint. Russia has strict laws limiting the removal of what is termed its "cultural treasures." Also, at the risk of sounding paranoid, extreme caution must used in establishing the provenance of these items before making any move to acquire them. Icons, in particular, where frequently stolen from churches during the Communist era. Some artwork was taken from privately held collections in occupied countries during World War II (usually referred to as "trophy art"). The current legal status of this artwork is unclear.

Jessica Tucker
Archivist
Archives and Information Services
Lorenzo de Zavala State Archivesand Library Building
1201 Brazos Street   Post Office Box 12927
Austin, TX  78711-2927
512 463-5507 telephone
512 463-5436 fax