ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:24:12 -0500
Karl -

>I don't see anyone advocating that we should pass this sort of discussion
>directly on to students. >What goes on on this list isn't what should go on
>in classrooms.
My problem is not with teaching graduate level material to high school and
freshman comp students.  I'm not suggesting that this is anybody's goal.  My
problem is with failing to teach graduate students how to communicate what
they've learned in the context of where they'll be teaching.

>. . . we should (not) try to banish all technical vocabulary.
I agree that not all technical vocabulary should be banished.  But when we
can't even agree on what technical terms mean, let alone how to apply them,
I think the inclination should be to avoid technical terms in the high
school and college comp classroom.

>Do you really have a way to teach punctuation rules without invoking any
>formal terminology?
Yes.

>You can mock "pre-head modifiers" etc.
I'm not mocking them - I'm criticizing them as being confusing.