ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:01:57 -0500
Peter -

Of course, students need to be able to recognize sentences, and being able
to identify the complete predicate is the absolute key to success at this
exercise.  However, what I'm suggesting, at least for beginning composition
students at both the high school and college level, is a means of
identifying this key sentence component (indeed, sentence indicator) that
is, in fact, not conceptually based at all.   There are some clear word keys
that can be used to identify whether, for example, a verb form is indeed a
predicate or fills some other function not indicative of the presence of a
sentence.  What I've found is that the more rote the process, the better
students become at this key skill.  The more the excercise is conceptually
based - i.e., "a sentence is a complete thought" or "a verb shows action or
a state of being" (IS THIS WHAT YOU CALL "COIK?" -NEAT TERM!), the less
successful they are.

I hope this helps at least clarify what I'm talking about if not totally
explain the technique.

Geoff