ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:06:39 -0500
Craig -

A few more random thoughts leaped into my head after my last reponse to your
run-on/comma splice example:

>My students write run-on sentences quite readily when the independent
>clauses seem to be >saying the same thing. "My father was a generous guy,
>he always opened his pockets to the >needy."

You can also extend the lesson on semi-colons to a lesson on paragraph
development and essay writing.  The "opening his pockets" example is still a
generality - a topic sentence!  If the student can give some specific
examples, there's a unified paragraph!  ("I remember one time when . . .
And then there was the time that . . .  It seemed as if Dad was always . .
.").

Then, perhaps the student can come up with a few more "general" examples of
father's generousity (more topic sentences for additional paragraphs).  For
example, in addition to being financially generous, he was also generous
with his time - specific examples give us another paragraph.  And he was
also emotionally generous - specific examles create still another paragraph.

Then, perhaps the student can write a bit about why having a generous father
is so important -  there's the introduction; and finally, what kind of
lessons have been learned ("I want to be just like my father.") - there's
the conclusion

AN IMMORTAL FIVE PARAGRAPH ESSAY ALL CREATED FROM A LESSON ON RUN-ONS AND
SEMI-COLONS!  LIFE IS INDEED GOOD!

Geoff