ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:41:14 -0400
Geoff --

Even my college students are bored by the terminology (mirabile dictu!).
However, I think stepping back from the whole issue and asking a few
questions, such as "How many basic kinds of sentences are there?" and
"What are the really important differences and what are the trivial
ones?" may be a good tactic for a wide range of age groups, as long as
one doesn't harp too much on labels, or insist there is a single correct
answer. It's parallel to what can happen even in low-level biology
classes when the teacher asks, "How many kinds of living things are
there? How could you even start to answer that question?" as a way of
approaching systems for classifying species (I have friends who are avid
bird-watchers, and who were horrified when they discovered that my
taxonomy for birds has, as top-level categories, "Goes with garlic
butter" and "Does not go with garlic butter").

The important part is not really the "right labels" for things, it's
gaining an understanding of the ways scientists (or grammarians) think
when they're faced with such a task. Since my course has objectives that
include "being able to work with traditional grammar labels," I'm more
label-focused than is probably needed. -- Bill Spruiell