ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
John Crow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:18:46 -0400
Great job Craig and Geoff!  I only wish this dialogue could get the
same broad coverage as the two NCTE statements that inspired it.

If (BIG IF) any of the research upon which the NCTE stance is
predicated is valid, it certainly does not support the position that
NCTE has taken.  Any knowledgeable researcher would call their
conclusion a gross overgeneralization.  The only logical conclusion
one could make would be that grammar as it has been traditionally
taught is ineffective, not that grammar teaching itself is
ineffective.  I think most of us would agree with such a statement,
and I think that most of us know that there are much better ways to
teach it than drill 'n kill.

May I, however, in the smallest of voices, request once again that we
hold our feet to the same fire as we request of "them":  that we
present empirical evidence in support of whatever we come up with.
Saying that this approach or that approach is better because ATEG says
so isn't going to win many converts.

John