CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"King, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:49:10 -0400

>Well, I know CS graduate students who have worked professionally,
>in private industry, as sysadmins. They happen to know more about
> security than the Resnet sysadmins I dealt with.

One, It isn't nice to insult people
Two, this is arbitrary, you haven't met all sysadmins in the world,
everyone has they're own niche.  I'm good with CCA and Wireless
networking, but I have very little experience with BGP and Storage
Networking.

>>Unpatched Windows machines should not be connected directly to the
Net.

You live in the Residence Halls, or so you claim.  Do your really think
your neighbor across the hall cares if they've been to windows update
this week?

>>How about giving your students a $20 router? Probably cheaper than
CCA.

Depends on your student population, that would cost more than I paid for
CCA (I did the math)

>>How about giving them a CD with Firefox, and a Virus scanner
>>(you probably have a site license)?

Most colleges did this before purchasing CCA.  Most student throw it
away, still in the CDcase.

>> How about educating your users?
None are so blind, as those who won't see.  Mandatory classes.  Would
you go?  Why shouldn't you?

>>With CCA, it is actually *you* who shows to have a really bad opinion
>>of your users: "our users are unable to protect themselves, so we
force them to."

You nailed in your last line.

So what's your policy?  Keep in mind, how would you react to your own
policy.  It also has to be a realistic policy.  Most, by virtue of the
fact that we don't want to spend money unless we have to, tried the,
"Users will take care of themselves" policy.

BTW, this is my last message on this topic.  I personally feel that you
refuse to abandon your opinion, hence discussing anything is a moot
point.  I also feel your only intention on being on this mailing list to
vent your anger, and to verbally attack people.  Your first message to
this list proves this, as every message you have posted.

Suffice to say, With CCA, we have not had a virus outbreak, major or
minor.  Out network has not gone down due to hundreds of machines being
part of a "bot" network and crushing our router and internet bandwidth.
Our network has not gone due to end user traffic issues. (We've had
power outages, and equipment failure, everyone has that)

Without CCA, all of these things happened, and with enough regularity,
that user experience really, truly "Sucked"