CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Feise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:52:15 -0400
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:34:02 -0500, Greg Schaffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It simply amazes me when I hear something like this.

It simple amazes me how people jump to unwarranted conclusions.

>  I guess acceptable
>use policies, blocking policy and copyright violators, IDS/IPS and so on
>are also privacy intrusions.  Oh, and of course the fact that each and
>every resident doesn't have at least 6 Mbps dedicated to themselves is a
>direct infraction on their constitutional rights to unlimited bandwidth.

And yet another lame attempt at ridicule...
May I ask where I have stated something like that?
The installation of a program like CCA client agent that has unfettered
access to my personal property is an invasion of privacy. That has nothing
to do with copyright violations, on the contrary. I may have source code on
my laptop that I am not allowed to disclose to anybody, do to intellectual
property rights. Some people work off-campus, and develop expensive
software. What guarantee do I have that *your* system is not compromised and
installs a rogue program, disguised as CCA client agent, on my system?

May I suggest getting off your high horse for a change?
You may be dealing with undergrads most of the time, but you need to realize
that graduate students are different. I have 15 years experience in industry...