CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Weakland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:09:55 -0400
Brian,

This usually means that someone has run tcpdump/wirshark/iptraf or
something else that asked your network card to listen for all packets, not
just ones destined for itself.  You need root priviledges (usually) to do
this on *nix -so if you don't know why . . . you should find out.

Eric

Brian Beausoleil <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Perfigo SecureSmart and CleanMachines Discussion List
10/12/2006 11:01 AM
Please respond to
Perfigo SecureSmart and CleanMachines Discussion List

cc

Subject
promiscuous mode?

Can anyone tell me what this means?

?device eth1 entered promiscuous mode?

I found it in the /var/log/messages log file. Right after we received it,
traffic stopped and the dhcp server shut down.

Thanks in advace.

Brian Beausoleil
Network Services
Southern CT State University