CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Lanstein, Alex C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:08:00 -0400
We run OOB now, but back when we ran IB we did posture assessment on /every/ login.  The heartbeat timer was at 2 minutes - our thinking was "anything more than a reboot should require rescanning".  PC users didn't really complain too much, but the mac users let the help desk have it.  We weren't scanning them for anything so making them login everytime their computer went to sleep really erked them.

In our new OOB setup we don't clear the certified device list right now (only a month or two old).  We will make it once a month - a few days after the m$ patches come out to a) give people a chance to update without being forced and b) give m$ sometime to fix their patches.  We'll probably turn that on in the fairly near future, but other unrelated network issues have put a decent strain on our helpdesk.

Long story short, no, users do not complain if there is a resonable explanation as to why they hae to recertify.  Especially if they now only have to do it once a month instead of once or more a day.

Regards,

Alex Lanstein
Senior Software Engineer, Transitional Data Services
Help Desk/Network Junkie, Connecticut College
Chief Coffee Drinker, LBCCHosting
860-625-4277