ALAS Archives

November 2006

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Javier Marquez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 00:31:56 -0500
Hey ALAS,

Let me know if anyone is interested in going to this event. Its really fun
and there is free food involved.

Javi
Publicity-ALAS

Subject: Carnaval in Brazil!
From:    "Eloiza Domingo-Snyder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Tue, November 7, 2006 2:38 pm
To:      [log in to unmask]

Carnaval in BRAZIL
"Carnaval in Rio: Race, Class, and Nationality in Samba School Competition"

Presented by our resident ethnomusicologist, Professor Tom Garcia

Tuesday, November 28 at 5:30p.m.
MacMillan 212

This will be FOLLOWED by a free(!)Brazilian meal in Shriver.
You MUST attend Dr. Garcia's lecture to attend the dinner!
Seating is limited!
RSVP to Dorothy Falke, [log in to unmask], 9-8309
Center for American and World Cultures

"Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro was historically an event by Brazilians  for
Brazilians.  In recent years, however, this has changed,
particularly in Carnaval's most visible event, the Samba School
competition.  Whereas participants were exclusively Brazilian,
predominantly black, and of the lower classes, Carnaval has evolved  into
an event in which large numbers
of white Brazilians and foreginers have had an ever-increasing
presence.  Other aspects of Carnaval, most notably blocos or street
celebrations, have stayed close to their traditional roots.  Through  the
use of photos, films, and costumes, Garcia will explore the state  of
Carnaval, recent changes in various aspects of the celebrations,  and the
social, economic, and political forces that drove these changes".

For more information, please refer to the UniDiversity curriculum  guide,
which you can also visit on our website,
http://www.muohio.edu/cawc, click on UniDiversity.

Eloiza Domingo-Snyder
Director, Office of Diverse Student Development
Home of the Center for Black Culture & Learning
Future Home of the Barahona Latino Resource Room & the Asian American
Resource Room
Warfield 17B
Miami University; Oxford, OH
(513) 529-8353; fax (513) 529-3445