FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Zupanc, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:40:05 -0600
No.  There is no finding of fraudulent conduct until after the trial (if
any) or settlement.  In the meantime a Minnesota corporation is under a
statutory duty to indemnify employees, directors and officers for their
legal costs up to that point.  Fulfilling that duty becomes
"criminalized" when the prosecution threatens to prosecute corporations
(in addition to prosecuting the officers, directors, employees) for
fulfilling that duty.
Whether or not the employees, officers or directors were indeed guilty
or liable does not relieve the corporation of its statutory duty to
indemnify them in the meantime.  In Minnesota, settlement or even an
adverse determination is NOT in itself conclusive that the person is
ineligible for indemnification.
I see the prosecutor's actions as exactly the same as prosecuting a
father for paying his child's criminal defense costs.

TZ