GSCA Archives

January 2007

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:42:37 -0500
Chika,

Thanks for responding.  As I tried to indicate in one of my previous
correspondences (below), the critique is not perfect.  There are
disturbing things being shown and said.  In addition to the use of the
N-word, the artist also uses the H-word and the B-word.  While he appears
to use these words to chastise those rappers who exploit us and also
characterize them as deviant, I don't agree with his use of them.  It
seems likely that the artist himself is conflicted (to a certain degree we
all are).  For instance, his vocabulary (words and images) may not be
extensive enough for him to be able to express himself in other ways.  In
addition, he, like the rest of us, has to deal with some degree of
internalized racism and sexism.  Take Tupac (who in the end did more bad
than good with his music) as an example.  He did negative songs about
violence and sex and then turned right back around and did sensitive songs
about the conditions that poor Blacks had to live in, racism, and Black
women being exploited (e.g., Brenda's Got A Baby).  It was a matter of
growth with Tupac.  Nas is another example.  Now, outside of internalized
racism and growth, one must consider the artist's audience.  Part of his
audience is undoubtedly that segment of hip-hop artists that he is
critiquing.  Did he make a conscious decision to use certain language
(words and images) in order to get their attention?  It's possible, but I
really don't know.  Also, he shows some negative behaviors (e.g., Black
women in sexually provocative positions) in order to critique them.  Did
he go too far?

With respect to his depiction of Afrikans and the reference that you
pointed out, he might indeed unconsciously demean them, but I'm not sure
that's what's going on.  If you take the whole video in context, he is
clearly linking Afrikan Americans to Afrikans and attempting to show our
struggle in historical terms.  When he says that "... even Afrikans are
callin y'all Ns ..." he might be trying to express the idea that because
hip-hop artists have helped to produce this modern day minstrel show they
have reinforced and spread the stereotypes, negative ideas, and behaviors
to the point that their own Afrikan brothers and sisters have begun to
call them (Afrikan Americans) the N-word.  At this point, he depicts a
traditional type of Afrikan warrior, but he may be attempting to convey a
sense of irony by presenting a strong image, rather than a primitive one.
Remember that Afrikan Americans frequently use traditional images of
Afrika and Afrikans to depict qualities that they think Black people
should embrace (e.g., unity, honor, strength, intelligence).  For
instance, take Huey Newton's picture (he is seated with a spear in one
hand and a gun in the other).

While pre-colonial Afrika (like other continents) has had instances of
slavery and classism in its history, we must remember that racism and
classism (materialism) are structural/ systemic and world-wide forms of
oppression that Black people did not perpetrate on the world.
Furthermore, these forms of oppression partially function by enlisting the
oppressed to participate mentally and physically in their own oppression
(e.g., slave mentality and colonial mentality).  In addition, we can look
at many examples in history where a people have participated in their own
oppression (actually helped their oppressors, internalized their
oppression, and exploited their own people for status and material gain).
This happened during the nearly 400 year Roman occupation and enslavement
of England.  It also happened during the nearly 800 year Moorish
occupation of Spain.  For example, under both circumstances, powerful
native leaders conspired with and fought on the side of their own
oppressors to keep their own people subjugated.  Also, Feudalism was a
form of slavery wherein Whites enslaved other Whites and we have seen
instances in history wherein Europeans sold each other into slavery in
Western Asia (the Middle East).  The root of the word slave is Slav (for
Slavs or Slavic people).  Also, I must point out that some Afrikans sold
other Afrikans into slavery because they were corrupt and they should be
condemned for doing so.  However, many Afrikans were forced to sell other
Afrikans into slavery.  For instance, before the Ashanti were forced to
become a slave trading people they fought the British in a series of seven
wars to abolish slavery.  Some Jews were forced to work for the Nazis
(e.g., in the concentration camps) and no one condemns them for it.

OK, explanation shouldn't be used as an excuse to continue doing the wrong
thing, so I must agree with your position that Black people have
participated (and participate) in their own oppression and it is our
responsibility to develop the proper respect for life (and I would add the
material resources) that is needed to overcome our oppression (which
consists of what others are doing to us and what we are doing to us).
Well, I know that's a long response, but I love thinking about these
issues.  Please give me your thoughts on my reading of these things.  I
hope others will join the discussion as well.  I've said a lot so, unless
you or anyone else has a specific question about an issue I've raised in
response to the video, I'm just going to sit back and read what others
have to say about it.  Thanks again for responding.  Take care.

Kamautu

> [...]
> things. The white man did not work in isolation for slavery to happen. The
> black race played a very active role in the process. We are in no way
> reluctant to sell deadly and addictive drugs to our own people especially
> the mothers of our children just so we can put rims on vehicles and then
> we turn around and blame the white man for letting it happen. The rulers
> of African nations work in cohorts with imperialistic western governments
> and embezzle billions of dollars that should have gone into nation
> building while living their citizenry in abject poverty and then the same
> leaders turn around and blame the western world for ignoring the plight of
> Africa nations. I can really go on with this but the truth is that until
> we as a race...the black race begin to respect life above materialism we
> will continue to be pawns to people who know how to use material things
> to enslave and exploit us physically, mentally, socially, economically and
> politically. Or is it also the white man's fault that the black race is so
> materialistic?
>
>> Dr. Coates,
>>
>> Greetings.  I didn't know if you were aware of this insightful and
>> provocative video (the link is below as well as part of my
>> correspondance
>> with the person who sent it to me).  I must warn you that the lyrics and
>> images are very explicit; however, they are well worth your attention.
>> Well, I would love to know what you think about the video, so if you
>> decide to view it please let me know what you think.  Take care.
>>
>> Kamautu Ashanti, ABD
>>
>> http://video.earwaxrecords.com/video/324b9625-a6db-43c3-a7c2-985901599b85.htm
>>
>> The video is very disturbing; however, it's about time that more of our
>> brothers stand up and fight against the negativity (minstrel show
>> madness)
>> that has reinvaded our community via hip-hop, R&B, and film.  Even
>> though
>> they use certain lyrics (e.g., the N-word) that I don't agree with using
>> under any circumstances (accept in explaining the history of the word
>> and
>> making my case for why we should not embrace it), I must salute them for
>> bringing a critical and conscious critique and for fighting to save
>> Black
>> people from those Whites and Blacks who are currently exploiting them.
>> Well, the video is an excellent teaching tool and, if put into the
>> context
>> of how we are exploited and exploit each other, should prove to be a
>> valuable weapon in our struggle to save our people's minds.  I'll
>> definitely pass it along to others.  Sorry it took so long for me to
>> respond.  Drop me a line or two and let me know how you are doing.  Take
>> care.
>>
>> Kamautu
>>

>>> If you're still there in e-mail land... tell me what you think about
>>> video.  Warning, it's kind of disturbing.