ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:49:34 -0500
Greetings!!
Like several others before us, Jill and I went out for several hours Sat in
search of Snow Buntings. We didn't find the Snow Buntings among the
hundreds of Horned Larks and tens of Lapland Longspurs on the way to and
around the Richmond Airport in Boston, IN.  We were surprised to find a
couple Savannah Sparrows along the road around the airport. The Savannah's
were usually the last bird to fly so we got great looks! A male Harrier was
also working the fields at the airport.  Rather than spending hours driving
around looking for buntings, we decided the easiest course of action was to
bring them to us--so we placed cracked corn in the usual spot at the coop
outside Oxford on 27 [just NW of town]. On my way back into town about 5
Sat evening there were over 160 Horned Larks, 26 Lapland Longspurs, and ONE
Snow Bunting--although in poor light and in the shadow of the silos I was
able to get a picture [see below].
I'll keep putting out some corn if  people want to stop out and see the
buntings and longspurs.
Cheers
Dave