FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:33:35 -0500
As you probably know, Taney (pronounced "Taw - nee") was a prominent
Jacksonian.  Andrew Jackson appointed Taney to be Attorney General in 1831 -
during Jackson's first term - and Taney quickly became one of Jackson's most
trusted advisors.  In 1833, Jackson appointed Taney to be Secretary of the
Treasury in order to have Taney quickly withdraw funds from the much-hated
(at least to Jacksonians) United States Bank.  The Senate refused to confirm
that appointment.  A couple years later, the Senate again refused to confirm
a Jackson appointment of Taney, this time for a position as Associate
Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.  But then the Senate majority changed,
and when in 1836 Jackson nominated Taney to replace the deceased John
Marshall as Chief Justice,  this third nomination of Taney was the charm!
I suspect that Jackson loyalists in the Missouri legislature simply were
adopting the name of a prominent administration official.  When the naming
process started was doubtless before Taney had actually come to the Court.
And, of course, it was two decades before a case from Missouri rose to
prominence and forever placed Taney in judicial infamy.
                                        Robert