FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Hotchkiss, Carolyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:09:56 -0500
As always, I'm engaging in an interesting social experiment in my classroom, caused in this case by the need to provide an accommodation to a student with a learning disability who needed a "note taker."  The Academic Accommodations people asked me to find someone to be a volunteer note taker, but to be sure not to let anyone know that another student had a learning disability.  Go figure.  So I ask each class for a volunteer to take notes on behalf of the entire class, then using the blog feature of Blackboard, post the notes at the end of class.  Other students can (and do) comment on the notes, and even ask questions.  For the volunteer, note taking becomes a form of class participation, and counts toward the grade.  Everyone can see the notes, and the poor student with the learning disability is never singled out as someone who needs help.

When we started this process, the notes people were posting were lousy.  As the semester has gone on, they've gotten a lot more organized and thorough.  Necessity was the mother of invention here, but I've been pleasantly surprised. And at least one student has something to do with a laptop other than shop.

Carolyn

Carolyn Hotchkiss
Babson College