ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 12:51:42 +0000
Paul,

Your question really helped me come up with some ideas for teaching. Thanks
for asking it. If you have any suggestions for me I'd appreciate it. I don't
really have any suggestions for you. I'm such a new teacher.

I thought of some things I might do to teach my middle school and high
school students the literary present.  Starting with spoken language is
important since so many of them are turned off by reading and writing.

I would remind my students that they hear and use both the past and the
present in every day life conversations when they recount or listen to
anecdotes. Then I would have several students tell or write an short
anecdote from real life. I would have them tell it without thinking about
tense while I wrote down all the verbs used. Then we could discuss which
tense the speaker chose. I would have an anecdote from my life as an
example. I'd have it written and I'd tell it in the present, past and mixed
tenses.

I would show and read them jokes in two versions past and present. "A man
walks into a bar..." "A man walked into a bar..."
Then I would give them/tell them jokes with the tense changing from past to
present and ask them to change the verbs to be consistent. We could discuss
how each tense affects the feel of the story. Jokes are like literary
fiction. They are invented and they are brought to life each time they are
told.

Radio sportscasting,  movies and oral story telling are other examples I
might use. Radio sportscasters use the present because it is happening in
the present. Like written fiction, movies come to life each time they are
played. Story tellers want to bring the story to life so the audience
(Readers or listeners) can recreate the story in the mind.

The problem I have with asking my students to stay in one tense is that they
have to really think about which  tense is being used. You college students
are probably ahead of mine on that one in most cases.

I made up an anecdote and purposely mixed the tenses. Then I realized that
there are tenses in the story that should not be in the literary present.
AAAARRRGHHH!

"I'll be darned if he didn't come up to me with a smile on his face. Then he
says..."Guess what I found?"  So I said, "What?" So he says, "Your ring." I
was so relieved, that I wasn't even mad because, you see, I  know that he
knew all along."

If I asked my students to put it into the literary present, they might make
all the verbs present. A lot of my students don't inflect the third person
singular.

I am darn if he don't come up to me with a smile on his face. Then he say,
"Guess what I find?"  So I say, "What?"  So he say, "Your ring." I am so
relieve that I am not even mad because you see, I know that he know all
along."

Obviously, there are expressions that should not be put in the present.
"I'll be darned, Guess what I found, relieved and he knew." There are so
many subtleties and layers of tenses. It's really a challenge. My students
often don't know about past participles used as adjectives (relieved and
darned) and they would identify it as a verb in past tense.

There's so much to teach. I just have to plunge in and hope they get some of
the concepts.
What made me think teaching English would be easy?

Christine

--

Christine Reintjes Martin