FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:28:07 -0400

I agree.  I compared the number of articles published in a given year
and compared that across journals.  If my memory serves, in that year
the ABLJ published 15 articles.  During that same time the Academy of
Management Review published at least three times as many articles.  The
same goes for the other business disciplines (e.g. Journal of Finance).
Some law journals (e.g. Columbia Business Law Review) publish absurdly
few articles (not notes or symposia) per year, like under 5.  So the "we
have five top journals so you should have five top journals" argument
should not fly.

I also checked Cabbell's.  Acceptance rates for law reviews are no less
selective than that of top business journals.  In some cases they are
more selective.

Finally, we can argue that law review publishing is more difficult
because there is no opportunity to cure any defects.  The decision is up
or down.  Submitting to business journals frequently results in a
"revise and resubmit," in which the author(s) have as much time as they
need to fix any problems.

Robert

Robert C. Bird
Assistant Professor