FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2007

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Levin, Murray S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:36:23 -0600
At the University of Kansas differential tuition for the School of
Business was approved and put into effect last year. It has resulted in
a number of good things: addition of "majors" (previously, other than
for accounting, all students were just general business administration),
addition of several new faculty to support the newly created majors (we
have a relatively small school), much improved career services, improved
technology, increase in student scholarships and student employment
opportunities at the school. These uses of the additional money were all
identified in advance of approval. The students (through student
organizations, clubs, etc.) were very involved in supporting the
imposition of differential tuition and the approval process. This was
not something that was just imposed from above.

Our University's "new" Provost (who joined us shortly after differential
tuition was approved) at a first meeting with our School's faculty
referred to it as "a pact with the devil". (I guess the future is a bit
uncertain.)

Murray Levin

Murray S. Levin
Professor of Business Law