CLEANACCESS Archives

March 2008

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Greg Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:31:36 -0400
We plan on using the Microsoft service pack "blocker tool" for our
Vista
and XP clients.  We'll be forcing them to add the registry key that
blocks
installation of the service pack.  We're going to add a check for the
registry key that the blocker tool sets.  We had a lot of horror
stories
when XP SP2 came out, and we don't want a repeat of that.  Our
thoughts
are to finish the rest of this semester and then start enforcing Vista
SP1
and XP SP3 starting with our summer sessions.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb927794.aspx

We are using the WSUS checks against the Microsoft WSUS servers (we
don't
have a local WSUS server running and use Microsoft's instead).  Does
anyone know with certainty that the above blocker tool (and the
registry
entries it sets) will also prevent WSUS from returning that Vista SP1
or
XP SP3 needs to be installed?

--greg