ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
diane skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 22:26:53 -0700
Craig,

Without question, the discourse context must be considered,
nonetheless, classifications remain. Klammer et.al. do not state a
"rule" for any conditionals concerning implied direct objects. So, to
this regard, your conclusion would be accurate; however, they define
sentence types "on the basis of prototype sentences, those that
clearly fit a pattern without complication or ambiguity" (209). They
also do not include other considerations, such as the derived
intransitive, an intransitive member of an ergative pair:
         The sun melted the ice sculpture.
         The ice sculpture melted.

Diane