ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:07:34 -0400
Bob,

I was trying to start with a position that was "agnostic" about whether
those two versions of 'sleep' are the same or not. We can take a
distribution like that and then develop hypotheses about what causes the
distribution -- and that's both necessary in linguistics and thoroughly
normal -- but we just have to remember those are hypotheses, not
observations themselves.

Saying that a given verb can be transitive or not is a perfectly good
way to approach the issue, but then, so is saying that clauses are
transitive or not, and that particular verbs are more or less associated
with particular clause types. "The professor's lecture ______ the
class," for example, could be seen as a kind of causative frame, and the
use of "sleep" in it as a nonce association of the verb with a frame
it's not normally used with (and, of course, one could instead view that
use of "sleep" as an example of nonce conversion of an intransitive stem
to a transitive one). I was trying to argue that other options are
workable, not that the verb-based one is unworkable. Other choices the
analyst makes about how to treat things may rule out some otherwise
workable options, but that doesn't rule them out in approaches that use
different choices.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University