ECOLUNCH Archives

July 2008

ECOLUNCH@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Sei, Makiri Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sei, Makiri Dr.
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:51:04 -0400
Hello all,

Please forgive me for cross posting and late notice.  Adam Porter, an entomologist and population geneticist from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, is visiting to take part in our NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates program.  He is giving a seminar titled "Evolution during Biological Invasion" on Monday, 21 July 2008 at 10:00 AM in room 218 Pearson Hall.  There will be a reception Monday evening at Tom Gregg’s farm (5077 Booth Rd)  starting at 7:00 PM.  Adam will arrive on Sunday night and depart on Wednesday afternoon.

Adam  is an insect  evolutionary geneticist who combines field and laboratory studies at all levels from species to populations to molecules. Empirical studies are combined with statistical theory, computer simulations and mathematical models. He uses these approaches to explore a broad range of questions including the genetic patterns at the boundary between species, the evolution of insect pesticide resistance, how the microevolution of gene regulatory systems lead to adaptation and speciation, and the genetic structure of populations after habitat loss and dispersal.

His research interests and selected publications can be found at:
http://www.umass.edu/psis/personnel/porter.html

If you would like to meet Adam for 30 minutes from Monday through Wednesday morning, please feel free to contact me.  The fieldwork schedule is a bit uncertain right now; it is tentatively scheduled for Monday afternoon, but we may have to move it to Tuesday morning because thunderstorms are in forecast.  If you are interested in meeting him, please let me know when you would like to meet him and how best I can contact you in case of schedule shift.  Also, please contact me if you would like to have breakfast or dinner with Adam.

Ann- forgive my plagiarism; I know it is bad thing to do but my brain is fried and desperately needs rest this morning.

Best regards,

Makiri Sei, Ph. D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
146 Pearson Hall