ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:18:42 -0400
Cynthia,
   I think this all comes down to a recognition of the meaningfulness of
grammar. Because we don't currently have that consensus, we don't have
a program for teaching awareness of form as a "meaningful" activity. As
Bill says, even students who find their way to college aren't generally
aware of these forms at a conscious level. I have found once again this
summer that students don't come out of college knowing what a clause
is. The term "phrase" is new to them. What little attention is paid to
this, even in the handbooks, is an attempt to teach conventions, not an
attempt to teach the grammar/meaning connection.
   I suspect the students who get hurt most by this are those who have
trouble reading. It would be interesting to see some sort of
intervention at earlier grade levels.
   The current whole language approach is to encourage reading and writing
(certainly a good thing) in the expectation that fluency will come from
that. The focus on grammar seems error driven. There's no reason why we
can't add conscious attention to how writing works when it works well.
   If my memory is accurate, the sentence combining programs that have
gotten the best results include reflection on the effect of the various
choices, but those were specifically testing for improvement in
writing. (One study showed that one group of students who did sentence
combining became more "mature" in language structures, but scored lower
holistically. Complicated structures are not inherently more
effective.) It would be interesting to test a carryover to reading fror
students who have not only become more "fluent" wioth those structures,
but more aware of them as rhetorical choices. >
   Maybe the argument comes down to whether grammar is something we all
already possess or whether it is something we grow into and therefor
might benefit from some sort of mentoring. Certainly the kinds of set
expressions that Bill wrote about aren't common to everyone's
experience.  For students most at risk, it might be prudent to assume
the need for mentoring.
   When I teach reading, I teach a conscious attention to how a text
means. It's easier to do at the level of whole text, but it certainly
involves choices at the level of the clause and the phrase and the
sentence. In a very basic way, students who read well read through to
the meanings, but even they benefit enormously from conscious attention
to how those meanings are formed.

Craig

Cynthia,