OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 7681 42 18_Conneaut's hopping10_Craig [log in to unmask], 19 Aug 2008 14:27:39 -0700608_iso-8859-1 I was able to visit Conneaut for about an hour around noon today.  The water level of L. Erie has definitely dropped some, and the shorebird habitat at Conneaut harbor is about as good as it will get there this year.  Seen were: 3 black-bellied plovers, 15 semipalmated plovers, 4 lesser yellowlegs, ruddy turnstone, 40 semipalmated sandpipers, 10 least sandpipers, 2 pectoral sandpipers, 3 stilt sandpipers, and 2 short-billed dowitchers.  Also a n. pintail, 10 Caspian terns, and a great black-backed gull that was old enough to actually have a black back.  I will be back there at dawn; I [...]44_19Aug200814:27:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:31:05 -0400
Scioto Audubon MP (Whittier St.), Columbus
At 10:00  - 11:30
The species reported yesterday by Rob Thorn continue in varying
proportions.
Some specific notes:
Flocks of small shorebirds (peeps?) move on and off the spit of the
peninsula.
2 Caspian Terns
3 Great Egrets
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Green Heron
1 shorebird about the size of a lesser yellowlegs or Killdeer with a
totally grey back, seen in flight. No wingbars nor white rump. The most
likely candidate, in my mind, is a Solitary Sandpiper with the barring on
the tail not discernable from the distance I was and the briefness of
sighting.

Rich

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH