CLEANACCESS Archives

September 2008

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:19:29 -0400
Dennis Xu wrote:
> After the move-in period, we had about 10 users randomly having
> connectivity issues to CAS. They can get IP from our Central DHCP
> server(CAS works as DHCP passthrough). But the dns lookup timed out. For
> the users having CCA Agent installed, the Agent did not pop up. It looks
> like the client cannot talk to CAS at all. Sometimes a 'repair'  could
> fix the issue. Anyone has seen the similar issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

I saw a Macbook yesterday that didn't even get an IP address. Turns out
he had Peer Guardian installed, which is intended to keep one from being
caught by the RIAA for file sharing. One of the settings blocks all
access to educational IP blocks, including our own! Very effective ;-)

Just one more thing to look for. PG has both Windows and Mac versions.
--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"We liberals need to make a distinction between attacking politicians
who see their faith as a necessary part of them and those who want to
see that their faith becomes a necessary part of us." -- Andrew Hammond.