ATEG Archives

October 2008

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:47:38 -0500
At 02:48 PM 10/30/2008, Linda Comerford wrote:
>Would any of you who teach at either the middle school or high
>school level have a recommendation for a style guide to cite sources
>in a research paper?  My niece teaches middle school language arts
>and asked my help, . . .

DD: It depends on the publication you intend to use. Differs by
discipline, and within the discipline depending on the
publication  vehicle. Differs within Universities, too, as well as
between colleges and Departments within the colleges. In general
provide author, date of cite, title of source, ISBN if Book, page
number, column number if more than 1. In other words,enough
information as is deemed necessary for the reader to easily find the
source and check up on the author. [GOTCHA!] Most newspapers have
style books that specify what they want. It is a mixed bag out there,
Toto. ["I don't think this is Kansas."] Some do the notation that
there is a footnote by the use of super scrip numbers. Others use *,
**. *** ad infinitum. Some put the actual citation as soon as the
mention the author occurs {Deacon  says (Deacon, 1945 a.)} or at the
end of the chapter, and others at the end of the article, or book.