ALAS Archives

November 2008

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Paulson, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulson, Susan
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:42:26 -0500
Please consider joining or otherwise contributing to one of the most awesome initiatives at Miami, a student-led course and study tour in Guatemala, organized by the Students for Peace and Justice.
Attached is information and application.
Susan

Students for Peace and Social Justice are now taking applicants for the 2009 Peace delegation to Guatemala. Now in our 6th year of delegations we invite you to participate in this unique experience.

Beginning in the second semester we will hold class once a week. This class is completely student organized and run to inform ourselves about the situation and history of Guatemala before traveling to the country during spring break. While in country we will be meeting with various organizations as organized by our international coordinators at Global Exchange. They have contacts already established in country and will arrange our trip around groups working to organize fair trade and grassroots companies as well as labor issues and history. Hopefully there will be a home stay in a smaller community to get away from the large tourist areas and experience life as most Guatemalans do. When we return to Miami we lead a week of events known as "Globalization Gone Wild". All delegates are expected to make a presentation and participate in these events. Bringing what we learn and see back home is one of the most important elements of this delegation.

There will be a cost for the trip, through fund raising we try to cover as much as we can but there is usually still a small cost of the trip. These specifics will be talked about as more details of the delegation become available from the international coordinators at Global Exchange; we encourage all interested to apply and we will talk about the price before anyone is committed. In the past the delegation has been an eye opening and impact full experience for all participants and we'd love you to be a part of it!

Please contact me with any questions or concerns you might have;
 Jessica Brown
 616-990-1842

For information and upcomming events please visit www.muohio.edu/alas