ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:03:31 -0500
"wuz" is an example of what's called "eye dialect," that is, non-standard spelling intended to reflect non-standard dialect pronunciation but that actually represents common pronunciation among all speakers.  We all say "wuz" for <was>, unless there's someone out there who rhymes it with "has."  Joel Chandler Harris is a good example of writing eye-dialect.  Contrast his representation of African American English with James Baldwin, who never stoops to such devices but captures the cadence and grammar of AAE beautifully.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University