ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:24:54 -0600
I have no idea how to respond to our good friend Brad.

Let me comment on the following:

Colleges insist on graduating students who can't write an intelligible English sentence, who don't speak three words of a foreign language, who have read neither Marx not Keynes not Freud nor Joyce, and who never will. (Cecelia Holland, "I Don't Trust Anyone Under 30", The Saturday Evening Post, August 10, 1968, p.12)

***
Of course the first claim is wrong.

This semester in my second college writing course my students have read an excerpt from Marx and will be turning in a reaction to Keynes this coming Tuesday.

The text I use has an excerpt from Freud that may or may not be read.

(No Joyce in the text I use.)

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri