FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Virginia G Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 07:29:37 -0400
Good thinking Carol. I agree. The AACSB forms make these distinctions, too, and I believe they expect the schools to create their own metrics for weighing various types of publications. That, of course, would be a systematic way of shaping faculty members' choice of outlets, but at least it produces a metric unique to each school -- so a school that identifies itself as having a strong teaching mission and less of a research mission can weigh publication outlets accordingly. In a sense it forces a school to define its mission and demonstrate how academic contribution aligns with the mission.

But it is crude and black boxish, measuring value only by what can be entered numerically in Excel spreadsheets. Yesterday, when I filled out the form, I found I had more than doubled my "academic qualifications" in just one year. Yet, I did not feel any more academically qualified this year than I did last year.

Ginny