FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 15:57:57 -0400
You could discriminate against education and have it on a weekday. Just
kidding Dan -- I realise it is educational too.

However, as a parent of 4 who has been to more events, tournaments, etc,
etc, than most, I can say that I have never noticed any accommodation
for any religious or other holiday or day -- everything routinely runs
on weekends, Saturday and Sunday including days that are very sacred in
different religions. I fear if you start trying to make things work
around particular days it will be never ending. Thus said, if I was
doing scheduling and was actually easily able to accommodate a
particular 'need' I would obviously do that. However, even that is
certainly not the norm -- I remember taking one kid to a soccer game on
the other side of Toronto for 8.30 pm the night before the start of the
middle school first day in the Fall for all kids in Ontario. The fact
that the fields were mainly empty much of the day didn't stop anything
-- if the League schedules, the League schedules, common sense be darned
(in fact, the League was right -- the kids were all so terrified of the
start of school this was a welcome distraction for all!!).

Sally