FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daren Bakst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 20:20:40 -0400
If the competition is held on multiple days of the weekend as you suggest,
then maybe some people could be reasonably accommodated upon request.  For
example, a Jewish student may be able to compete on Sunday instead of
Friday.  If the student has to be there the whole time, it is too bad for
that student.  There's literally nothing you can do.

Personally, I'd completely disregard the religious issue and simply identify
the days that we'd need to have for the competition.    If it could be held
on just one of the three days, then I'd select the day completely unrelated
to religion but based on convenience (e.g. costs, most participation, etc).

In other words, I'd set up the event and not deal with some general and
unworkable religious accommodation policy with the anticipation that some
students may have some problems.  I'd reasonably accommodate when requested,
and not before.  By looking at it before, ironically, you start to put
yourself in a position to discriminate.

Obviously, there may be more wrinkles to this situation than what I could
ascertain from the information provided, but this is how I'd generally
handle it.

Daren Bakst