ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:03:03 -0400
Joseph Conrad seems worth mentioning here. He didn't start to learn English until his twenties, but he wrote what many consider some of the most striking and memorable prose in the language. In some ways, his "accent" adds to the distinctiveness of his writing; critics have noted that he subtly blends rhythms and syntactical patterns from  Polish and French  into English. I would say that his language background probably didn't do  much for his grammatical correctness in English, but it did contribute to his grammatical creativity or flexibility--that is, his ability to imagine and use grammatical structures that are "out of the way" but effective in a particular rhetorical situation.

Brian