ATEG Archives

August 2009

Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:28:04 -0400
I beg your pardon.  My father was reared in small-town FL Panhandle,
my mother in a farm in central MS.  I was taught by example and correction
that pen and pin were not pronounced as homophones.  I rather believe that
my parents and I should be considered Southerners; the old joke was "I was
21 before I learned that you did not spell Yankee with a little 'd.'

Yes, I have held on to my Southern accent and vocabulary although I remain
cognizant of the five clocks.

Yes, 'peen' is part of ball peen hammer to me and I have heard the slight
schwa after 'pen' but not after 'pin.'  As a phonetician, I always had an
ear for dialectal speech--and used the IPA to record my youngest daughter's
speech for the first two years.  After that, I heard nothing unusual.

My phonetic problem as a youth was the textbook explanation that the sound
was that of singer--not finger--which had exactly the same end sound to me.
My folks could not help me on that one.

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages